My goal as an editor is to make you proud of your work and confident in its quality. I will provide suggestions to help you attain clarity and conciseness. I will maintain your personal tone and voice while rearranging sentence structure as needed.
What I do
I edit fiction novels that are in the science fiction, mystery, paranormal or horror genres.
Check list your manuscript will receive:
- Spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Numbers consistency
- Hyphen use (hyphen, en-dash or em-dash)
- Gender neutrality
- Titles, heads, and subheads (consistent)
- Wordiness, triteness
- Vague generalizations
- Lack of focus
Copyediting can range from light to heavy. Although copyediting includes the basics of proofreading, it also goes a step (or more) further. In copyediting your text, I read your work line by line and do the following:
- Correct faulty spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Write queries when something isn’t clear or doesn’t seem to make sense.
- Flag redundancies and suggest alternative wordings if warranted.
- Ensure consistency in spelling, numbers, capitalization, names, and hyphenation.
- Flag or reword jargon.
- Smooth out awkward or confusing sentences.
- Ensure that any citations/notes are complete and that their style is consistent.
- Create a style sheet listing terms, character names, treatment of numbers, and so on for your individual piece.
What I don’t do
I am not a developmental editor. I do not rewrite or change organization.
Riverside Community College, Riverside California
UC Berkely Ext Professional Sequence in Editing certification
For more information or inquiries, send email to Kathy Finfrock